Friday, June 5, 2009

Stop in Savigny- les- Beaune


Every time I make the car exodus from Paris to Provence, I try to plan a stop over in Burgundy. One, because it cuts the eight hour drive into two reasonable four hour days. And two, because it gives me a chance to do a little wine hunting...I get a chance to pull out all those little wine tasting notes that I have been storing on my iPhone and try to find the secretive little wine domains in my favorite pinot noir country.  What better place to stop off than Savigny-les Beaune.  I did not have enough time nor energy to hit the northern Cote d'Or section so I settled tasting a local wine, a favorite of the inn keeper of Le Vieux Moulin, where we were spending the night.  One of the things I love about wine hunting is that I get a chance to actually meet the faces behind the wine label.  I love asking the winemakers questions about our mutual passion , wine.  I also learn a lot about the on going family feuds or regional politics. I am a big fan of Kermit Lynch, a  San Francisco wine lover who has a mind blowing wine store in Berkeley. Kermit was one of the first to introduce French wine to the American palate. His love for Burgundy, Cotes du Rhone and of course, Bandol  was really music to my ears.  I truly wish we had a Kermit Lynch wine store here in France. I know that sounds silly but not when you read his newsletters about his latest finds ...go to.....newsletters@kermitlynch.com. I highly recommend reading his "Adventures of the Wine Route" which was penned twenty years ago but reads like it was written last summer. He also has a  dry sense of humor and is a musician to boot. Plus I heard he resides not too far from my home in Provence.  We love you Kermit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment