Thursday, March 4, 2010

On our way to Alila Villas Hadahaa , Maldives






We took a hour boat ride to reach the remote Alila Villas.Alila Villas Hadahaa is the first resort in the Maldives to be environmentally certified for both design and construction. You will not see plastic in any form on this island. The architecture is both natural and very futuristic. The water bungalows remind me of the Paul Verhoeven film, STARSHIP TROOPERS. Somehow these water bungalows conjure up images of ants and bugs. Hmmm. I do have to say they did a great job at bringing a boutique hotel to the inner bowels of the Indian Sea.
One thing that I felt contradicting the architect's 'Natural' philosophy', was that every building had air conditioning. AC is not something I want to sleep, do yoga , nor receive a massage in. Especially in the tropics.
I want to feel the sensuality of the humidity. I want to feel it on my skin, hear the geckos chirp and the palm trees sway. In our villa, there was no ceiling fan to be found which I found a bit too dictatorship in the land of architects. I do not want to sleep with a fan blowing out cold wind on my body. I really do not think that Mr Architect ever came to the Maldives nor swam in its pristine Indian ocean. In the end, this is all about personal taste. I prefer a resort that marries more organically the natural environment and is less about a statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment