Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Irish are coming........





The next day after another hearty meal in Bordeaux, Jean Michel Cazes took us on a tour of the Lynch-Bages winery. It was in full working force since the wine vendage was done a week ago. Red opaque liquid was pouring out several steel vats like a Roman Bordeaux bath house. Mr Cazes told me that this was going to be a very special year in Bordeaux. The grapes were as plump and juicy as in many great vintages. As we walked besides the steel containers, I could smell the pure sweet raison awaking my senses. Jean Michel handed me a glass of the grape juice that is destined to become a great Bordeaux. It tasted like warm sweet wine sans alcohol laced with pure tannin. Absolute anti-age tonic in a mouthful! And to think it may have been one of my Irish ancestors who helped founded Lynch-Bages. My grandfather Sullivan's mother maiden name was Lynch. Thomas Lynch made his way to Bordeaux in 1691! Then, to round out the Lynch dynasty, there is my favorite wine transporter and bon vivant, Kermit Lynch. That is a good enough excuse to drink a little bit more of this red nectar...I have it in my blood!

No comments:

Post a Comment